Lilypie

Sunday, August 17, 2008

First Week Down

Here's Levi on his first day of "school" last week. A little over a week down for Mom and Levi. I think it's been harder on me than for Levi. He is such a sweet boy and loves to interact with whomever would will talk to him and give him smiles. And, who can resist? I tell you, it's addictive!













I was so nervous the night before my first day back and all that day. I was anxious about working pumping into my day, seeing my colleagues again, and would I remember how to "doctor"? I did OK in the morning, mostly because I spent a lot of it talking about Levi and showing off pictures of him I've been carrying in my coat pocket. Once lunch-time hit and I disappeared to pump, I was alone with my thoughts and the tears came. I missed him so much! I was also so worried--was he going to nap OK at daycare? How was he doing??

I stopped myself from calling the daycare multiple times. If they told me he was doing fine, I wouldn't believe them. If they said he'd been having a bad day, there would be nothing I could do about it and just make me feel worse (I already had given them 2 pages of typed instructions on how to best care for him in different scenarios). Come about 2:30pm, I was about to burst (tearing up again), and Dustin called me just in time saying he had just picked up Levi. He apparently had a pretty good day with little to no fussing, just taking in the new environment. He did nap 3 times, but not as long as I would like. He ate and took the bottle well. All in all, as good of a first day as you can expect . . .

As the past week+ has gone on, we've been adjusting OK. It has actually been good to be back at work. I've enjoyed getting back to the intellectual stimulation and learning environment. I've had some positive interactions with patients and with my attendings that have been encouraging. So, I haven't forgotten it all, which is reassuring (yet still realize how much studying I *do* need to do!).

I think Levi has been adjusting to daycare as time has gone on. A couple of his naps have gotten longer, and I am told he enjoys watching the other babies and smiles and kicks around a lot.

It has been sad at times when I have had to come home from work late (6/6:30pm or so) and have just a small window to see Levi who is usually more tired at that point. I am very thankful for weekends where I can really make up my time with him. Also, I think I'm learning to maximize my time with him during the week.

We're in a new season, and I am learning on trusting the Lord and entrusting Levi to Him. I think this will be a continual exercise of parenthood.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy, I really admire your dedication managing work and family. I believe it is possible to have a healthy family and a successful career. I think you just have to realize that your family will have a unique lifestyle.
Jessica