Lilypie

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

First Glimpses of Levi and More

Being "with child" is an amazing thing. It's miraculous how life is developing inside of you. Literally awesome. Having studied embryology, I feel like I can sing praises to God even more in knowing what little "details" all come together to form a human life. How does that cell know to go over there and ultimately form the spinal cord and the other to twist and turn and form the heart? What happens in the first 30 days is amazing. By day 22 after conception, sometimes even before someone may know they are pregnant, the heart is beating!

I am very thankful I had a relatively easy pregnancy. Before other women who have had difficult pregnancies hiss at me, I *did* have my share of nausea, food cravings, back aches, round ligament pain (so bad I almost went to the hospital), ankle swelling (can you say "cankles"?) with the lovely accompanying full-grade medical support hose and crocks being the only shoe I could fit in, heartburn, frequent trips to the bathroom, bad pelvic pain with my huge belly where it was excruciating to walk for 10 days straight, and of course, emotional ups and downs. My nausea was workable (I found ways to deal with it: ie-eat crackers or frequent meals), and I really only threw up twice the entire pregnancy (both in the 2nd trimester). With the exception of a handful of nights with horrendous heartburn, I slept fairly well. Other than genetics, I really thinking working the entire pregnancy helped me deal with my ailments by providing a demanding distraction.

Anyways, all that to say that I really enjoyed being pregnant. You have this amazing life growing inside of you, and it comes with a lovely anticipation of what he/she will be like and how will he/she fit into your family and how your life is going to change. Feeling yur child's first movements are so incredible. Throughout my entire pregnancy, I never got tired of his kicks, no matter what time of day. We had a special bond. It was like private jokes between the two of us that no one else was in on. In fact, for a few days post partum, I had "phantom kicks," missing that connection.

Also, I found amusing, people are so nice to pregnant people. Being pregnant almost came with an automatic "strangers are going to talk to you" card. I think being pregnant brings a type of hope and anticipation in the air.

Because I had a fibroid on my uterus (benign tumor that hasn't caused me any problems), I was lucky enough to get multiple ultrasounds during my pregnancy (that my insurance covered). Below are some of the first glimpses we had of Levi before we knew he was Levi! (you can't see my fibroid in any of these shots.)

Our first ultrasound and first hearing of Levi's heartbeat. It brought tears to our eyes. The live ultrasound picture was so much better than this printout--it actually looked like what one can see in a textbook, but hard to see here.
We lovingly referred to Levi here as our "Little Peanut"
6 weeks and 4 days:

At first, I told Dustin I wanted to wait to find out the sex of our baby (despite his protests to the contrary). But once I saw this ultrasound, SAW his heart beat and 4 chambers fill with blood, and saw his little arms and legs wiggle around, this mom's heart melted, and I decided I wanted to know everything I could about our little child. (aka, Dustin "won")
Lovingly referred to as our "Little Gummy Bear"
9 weeks and 1 day:

As a Christmas present, Dustin and I had the amazing opportunity to get 3D/4D Ultrasound pictures done on December 23rd, 2007 when Levi was 18 weeks. The 3D is what you see in the pictures below; 4D is the video of his movements we got--almost 30 minutes worth! I intentionally drank a cup a OJ right before, so he was dancing and moving his arms all around in our video. :-) Also, this was the all-exciting day where we found out the sex of our baby. From the end of November up to this ultrasound, for some reason, I had a feeling that we were having a boy. I even had dreams about it. I can't really explain why--I even started telling people before hand.

The extended family on my dad and step-mom's side all got together and went with us to find out the sex. This isn't the best picture, but I think it is neat because it was taken BEFORE the ultrasound, each of us holding up a toy with the color corresponding to the sex we thought we were having (red=pink=girl).



Dustin and I went in alone to first find out. Right when the ultrasound probe was on my belly, Levi opened up his legs for us to see--A BOY!!!
18 weeks:
(the arrow is pointing to the little turtle which = boy)

The fun thing is that as soon as we found out and had a moment together, Dustin opened the exam room door to toss out the blue ring into the waiting room signifying to the family that we were having a boy and it was OK to come in. Many cheers followed the toss, and soon 14 other family members were in the room watching the following images on the screen with Dustin and I (thankfully the room was large).

18 weeks:
There he is--all curled up. He still likes this position. :-)

I love how it looks like he's just chillin' here with his hands behind his head an a little grin.

I think this one was precious with his sweet hand touching his forehead.

He stops to flash a big smile.

It's amazing that we can count his fingers and toes!! Yes, 5 on each hand and foot!

I think this picture is so neat. You see his little legs kicking out at me as well as his little hand. The time of this ultrasound corresponded to the first kicks and punches I had started feeling.
Video of moving inside of Mommy:


Dustin and I afterwards holding the blue ring and celebrating our boy.

The 3D pictures were done at a commercial location and emphasized its non-medical nature and couldn't guarantee the baby's sex. Below are the rest of the medical ultrasounds that were done.

21 weeks and 2 days:

It's still a boy!

His profile:
His profile closer-up:
Levi's face:

His amazing little foot!
30 weeks and 6 days:
Profile of his head. I think you see his hand too.

Levi's face:

Yes, we're DEFINITELY having a boy!
Blurry picture of his foot:
Last Preview before Levi's Entrance
36 weeks and 2 days:
If you compare this face picture to the others, you can see he now has quite the chubby cheeks! :-)

For You formed my inward parts;
You wove me in my mother's womb.
I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well.
My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth;
Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;
And in Your book were all written
The days that were ordained for me,
When as yet there was not one of them.
- Psalm 139: 13-16

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally had phantom kicking, too! I missed having Salem inside me so much - having him all to myself! Definitely a prfound bond b/w mother and child. So hard to put into words.

xoxo
hadyn